Inside Teaching MSU Collaborative Fellow
Call for Applicants
Inside Teaching MSU invites applicants for the second cohort of Fellows for the Inside Teaching MSU Collaborative. Inside Teaching MSU is an online and in-person network and resource center led by MSU graduate students and postdocs, dedicated to promoting postsecondary teaching excellence through conversation and sharing innovative pedagogical practices both within and beyond the MSU community. In sum, Inside Teaching MSU wants to promote excitement and pride about graduate student teaching at Michigan State.
Specifically, Inside Teaching MSU seeks to: (1) create welcoming community spaces for the design, exchange, modeling, and reflecting upon best teaching practices; (2) facilitate the development and sharing of teaching and learning resources among graduate students and postdocs; and (3) provide graduate students and postdocs with opportunities to build professional skills through leading teaching workshops, writing about teaching, facilitating conversations on social media, and developing instructional materials.
What is involved?
Approximate time commitment is 3-5 hours per week, which includes:
- Participation in a 4-hour training session in January 29, 2016 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Attending an in-person monthly fellows meeting for 90 minutes (date/time to be decided by group).
- Promoting and building the Inside Teaching MSU brand and network by serving as a “brand ambassador” via both in-person and digital platforms.
- Participating in a monthly Inside Teaching Lounge (3rd Thursday of each month 4:30-6:00 pm).
Why become a fellow?
- Build leadership skills – provide teaching development support for your fellow graduate students and postdocs.
- Deepen your understanding of student learning assessment and curriculum design across the disciplines.
- Learn and implement best practices in teaching with technology & social media.
Who is eligible?
- To be eligible to be an Inside Teaching Collaborative Fellow, applicants must have a proven commitment to pedagogy and teaching, evidenced by their active engagement at MSU and/or elsewhere in conversations about high quality teaching and learning.
- Five to seven fellows will be selected, and an effort will be made for the group to have representation across the humanities, STEM and social sciences disciplines.
- Fellows will receive $1000 for a two-semester commitment (Spring 2016 & Fall 2016).
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV and respond to these three questions (please limit responses to each question to 300 words):
- Why are you interested in being an Inside Teaching Collaborative Fellow?
- What activities have you participated in previously that demonstrates your commitment to high quality teaching and learning?
- Inside Teaching MSU has a monthly in-person event called “Inside Teaching Lounge”. These 1.5 hour events events are run by graduate students and cover a range of topics related to providing high quality evidence-based teaching in the post-secondary context. Please provide a “pitch” for one Inside Teaching Lounge topics that you might be interested in leading as a Fellow in either Spring or Fall 2015.
- Identify two strategies you have to build the Inside Teaching MSU network.
Please submit these materials to Dr. Melissa McDaniels, Assistant Dean, The Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, December 7, 2015. Please use “2016 INSIDE TEACHING FELLOW” as the subject line in your e-mail.